Sunday, April 13, 2008

Florence's Baptism




Everything is moving so quickly between our diagnosis and the surgery. We've hardly had time to process everything. I'm having a difficult time visualizing ourselves on the other side of the surgery. At times, we are moving along normally and having a good day, but there is always something dark looming over my shoulder. Then I remember, "oh, yes" the baby is having surgery. Sometimes, I try to remember all my blessings and try not to worry, but then I remember that this is pretty significant surgery, and worth worrying about. I have found the most wonderful website: http://www.craniokids.org/ that has helped me feel like I'm not alone and to see what I'm facing both with the surgery and the recovery.

We had Florence baptized right after Easter. My sister Kathleen and her family came into town to serve as Godparents. I love the way they baptize at St. Bridgets, but I was especially glad to get it done before her surgery. They dunk the totally naked baby into a pool of water and then lift her high in the air, all while people are singing. It's very beautiful.




We also had the rite of anointing done the Sunday before her surgery. This, along with the baptism, made me feel she was extra protected for her surgery.

No comments: