Sunday, April 13, 2008

Day 4 - Going Home



We survived the night. Our 6 month old roommate moved out at some point during the night, and because they needed the space, they were in there cleaning at 6:00 a.m. Yuck. Florence had a good night, waking up only to eat and doing well. I'm buckling down for another day and night in the semi-private room. The nurse brought us a music playing mobile for Florence. She couldn't see the twirling birds because her eyes are still closed, but the music was sweet and we both appreciated it. She even smiled at me a few times. I called my mom to bring me a few things, and Tony brought them to us. He sat with Florence while I ran to take a shower. When I came back, Dr. Moss had come by and said that Florence looked so good, we could go home today if we wanted. He said it was up to me and how comfortable I felt about cleaning her incision and the fact that her eyes weren't open, but he didn't have to ask me twice. Of course I was nervous, but really, I thought we'd be fine and we lived close enough to come back if we absolutely had to. So they cleaned her incision for us one last time, removed her central line and all the other monitors and sent us on our way.

I called my mom at home to get her to explain to the kids what she was going to look like. When we got there, I offered them one chance to wash their hands really well and gently touch her staples in case they were curious, but they declined. They did wonder if they had ever had such a surgery or staples in their head. It felt so good to be home and absolutely amazing to sleep in my own bed!!!

No comments: